Monday, August 23, 2010

72 Hours

Really pony... really? 72 hours into your residency you've got to get into something? Goober hit her eye on something & scraped it up. Last night it was so swollen she could barely open it, she kept it closed most of the time I was out there yesterday. Luckily when I went out today it looked much better. Scrape is still there but the swelling has gone down significantly.

I rode monster for the first time in almost a month. It could have gone better... I mean it could have gone worse, but it DEFINITELY could have gone better. Learned what her buck felt like for the first time today, something I DEFINITELY could have lived without knowing. Not too bad though, for a fourteen hand pony. She was a booger, no doubt. Would NOT stand to be mounted, everything was spooky, NO breaks, & would not tolerate being circled. Blaaaaargh. I know it will get better, but it's so hard not to feel like we're back at square one. A month ago my trainer had her starting to canter... today I wouldn't get her to successfully walk & stop without issues. This, too, shall pass.

On the bright side, I am so incredibly at peace at the new barn. I just love being out there, even with a heat index of 106. Everyone is so nice & everyone really cares about all of the horses. People go way out of there way on their day to feed, doing extra chores above the 3 hours worth of work, just to make the property nice for the horses. My only concern is that monster will be morbidly obese by this time next week between all the grass & hay... but I suppose that's better then not being fed at all. Yay new barn!

No comments:

Post a Comment