Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ask for Help.

After my little incident with Cheyenne last week I've been a little leery. She has been surprisingly good (tried to rear once when I was walking her out, I smacked her right that second with the crop, and she hasn't tried again) but it kind of made me realize I don't have the experience to go this alone anymore. If I just want a horse I can walk around, who steers pretty well, normally doesn't spook, and sometimes will trot with a lot of coaxing... then she fits the bill. But I want a horse I can walk/trot/canter... who won't pitch a fit... and who will back... and who will be more responsive, so I need help. I knew it was a long shot but I posted an ad on craigslist offering my services around a barn (I'd do just about ANYTHING!) in exchange for someone training her. I would floored by the number of responses I got! I didn't expect ONE! People pouring out of the woodworks, some offering to help for nothing at all! Of course I was a bit skeptical but I think I found a girl who may really be able to help me. All she's asking in exchange is that I exercise her horses & she will come out & train Chey 2-3 times a week! SWEET DEAL! I'll be honest, I HATE riding other peoples horses. It makes me so nervous! But I think it will be good for me.. the last time I cantered on a horse was probably a year ago, since it's something Cheyenne & I can't do yet. It will be good to build my confidence up again, and help me to focus on myself, and not just controlling my horse. I'm nervous, but excited! The two girls at my barn also offered to ride her for me whenever they're short a horse (one girl owns a horse, and the other leases the same horse... so when they come out to ride together they need an extra). They're both AWESOME riders & one of them rode her today & said she did amazing! Yay! I'm so thrilled.

Moral of the story, ask for help! I'm amazed how many horse people legitimately care and are willing to help out of the goodness of their heart, not just for money. Hopefully this works out well, just had to share!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! It would be nice if you could fine someone who does natural horsemanship (I think it's a great base for any horse going into any discipline.) Have them show you how to do it! That's one thing I learned. I kept putting training on Denali and I couldn't understand why we were not working together any better. It's because I needed to make her respect me. We're working on it now. Good luck! It's no fun trying to train your own horse. I like your idea! Good job!

    Also, thanks so much for your comment. I was really bummed out about that comment but yours made me feel a lot better! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl does natural horsemanship! I'm glad to hear your positive thoughts on it. The woman I adopted her from said mustangs tend to respond best to it, so I'm really excited. & I'm glad the comment helped. I definitely do NOT think she's in a position where the posters comment made sense. She will come around. :)

    ReplyDelete