Monday, December 7, 2009

Let us introduce ourselves...

So I started this blog to share the humble story of my adventures with Cheyenne, my BLM mustang out of the Divide Basin in Wyoming. I adopted Cheyenne in April of 2009 from Wild Horse Rescue in Mims, FL. I had been considering buying/adopting a horse of my own when I started volunteering at the rescue, but was in the market for a dead-broke, been-there-done-that, older gelding. Instead my heart melted for this shaggy little brown filly & sometimes you can't rationalize affairs of the heart... so here we are eight months later & I can't imagine my life without her. I've found no greater therapy or reward in life than that of working with a wild horse. I've learned lessons in patience, forgiveness, courage and cooperation from Cheyenne that cannot be paralleled by any other experience on earth. I was warned against those "crazy mustangs"... told it was a terrible mistake to adopt an untrained wild horse... reminded of the old adage "green & green make black and blue"... but through the grace of God we've made it to where we are today. It's hard to imagine how far we've come in a short time. From a frightened young horse who couldn't be haltered, to a confident horse who adores people and loves her job.

"A lovely horse is always an experience... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words." -Beryl Markham

2 comments:

  1. I saw your photo on equusite and followed the link to your blog and wanted to say hi. Your mare is beautiful! I have two mustangs that are from Wyoming also (Lost Creek and Stewart Creek). It's amazing how smart mustangs are and how hard they try once they trust you. Good luck with your saddle training! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, green n' green DOES equal black n' blue!! My friend has a mustang that she got from the wild 10 years ago. BEST HORSE EVER!!! He's amazing!

    www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete