Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The first fall...

So rides 7 & 8 I decided to start riding Cheyenne bareback. I was a little concerned since she has started pulling this wiggling bit when mounting, but after a few (very failed!) attempts... she was finally quiet. Let me get this out of the way... bareback pads are more trouble then they are worth. Unless you have the money to invest in a GOOD one (not fleece bottom... piece of JUNK) they just end up being more dangerous then riding with nothing. I just don't understand why they don't make them with regular cinch straps instead of a piece of junk makeshift one? ANYWAY. She did really well, but she is becoming more and more unresponsive to the bit. I'm going to try her in a hackamore again to see if it helps, but if not I think I may buy one of those large rubber ones she she is more aware of it. She does listen, but it takes quite a bit more pressure & effort then I would like at times. Ride 7 was short, just a quick spin around the paddock area & we were done.

Ride 8 I rode with her to the other ride of the property. She did well the first time... but the second time we had a little spill. Kris had her truck up by the barn & was needing to back it out... she asked if Cheyenne would spook (of course not- she's seen plenty of cars drive by before!) but wouldn't you know- she saw that thing & was having NONE of it. She jerked, the saddle pad slid around her belly (which is why I was NOT using the stirrups... can you imagine what kind of an accident THAT would have been??!!) & off I went. (& so did she) I have to admit I was MAD AS HELL... but really it wasn't her fault. Had I been in a regular saddle (or probably even bareback without that crappy pad) I would have been able to hold on no problem. Luckily I wasn't hurt so we hiked back to the barn so I could get back on again & she finished out the ride just fine. Of course today I definitely feel some bruising & my back has felt better... but it could have been MUCH worse. It was going to happen sooner or later, so far I've been very lucky with her (no injuries... well minus the time she stomped on my foot in flip flops.... again though- that was my OWN fault.) "It is not enough for one to know how to ride; he must know how to fall." Yup, got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment