Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Colic.

Well, nothing is sunshine and rainbows forever I guess. I went to Vegas for a friend's wedding Thursday-Sunday and Friday morning Cheyenne coliced... God bless Kris & Jenna for taking care of her and making sure she was okay, and even more-so for knowing me well enough to keep the news from me until AFTER I returned home. I would have been a nervous emotional wreck the whole trip knowing that had happened. I guess Kim came out to feed in the morning & noticed Cheyenne was down, and when she didn't get up to eat (UNHEARD of for this horse!) she knew something was wrong. Kris came out & had to halter her and DRAG her to get her to stand. She gave her a shot of banamine and walked her out for a while, and eventually she came around.

This was the first bout of colic she's ever had... she is in sand but I give her metamucil regularly... so I'm hoping it wasn't from the sand. At any rate she seems to be doing much better. I'm still a little worried since she has not been eating her hay like normal (normal meaning gone in 5 minutes.) I moved her over next to Sienne since she's been a paddock away from the rest of the horses since Ravin was moved, maybe she is just lonely? Who knows.

At any rate I lunged Cheyenne for a bit (which was quite the task with 4 dogs running around us, she held herself together fairly well though) and then rode. She gave me a bit of a run for my money today and left me feeling more frusterated then accomplished. Of course it was my fault for not working her seriously in almost two weeks, but I feel like we're back at day one. She was fussy and would NOT trot... in fact I was half convinced she was going to pull some sort of stunt while I was asking her to, luckily she controlled herself. I rode her down to the other side of the property & she was extra spooky. She REFUSED to go down to the barn where she spooked last time & I fell. She kept trying to turn around... I eventually won that battle but it was nerve wracking with her whipping around over what is essentially a bridge connecting the barn to the rest of the property. (STEEP bridge... over water... fairly dangerous)

Time... time and patience and more time and more patience. We're going to get there. I've got the patience... I just wish I had more time. I'm considering allowing someone to free lease her in order to have her worked more, but she is still somewhat unpredictable... and I have NO idea how she'd react to another rider. I just don't want to deal with an accident, I just wish I could work with her more. I love that little monster pony more then anything... somehow God in his infinite wisdom chose her for me. She's challenging enough to remind me that the good things in life are worth working for... but she's come such a long way I can't help but be so proud of all the work we've done together. Trying to remind myself of the Parelli quote... "If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong." I need to figure out how to ask for things in a way she understands, and be more consistent. There we go... add that to my list of belated New Year's resolutions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi..u probably already know this but you can test to see if she is injesting sand by scooping up a fresh pile and putting into a water bucket. It's gross but mash it up and see if there is sand that the bottom. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoooOOOhhh a comment. Sorry it took me so long to respond... I wasn't expecting any comments, lol. Yup, I've done the glass jar method- easier to see... maybe that's gross... whatever. haha She seems to be doing well now though, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete