Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Redemption

Well Cheyenne managed to redeem herself today. She was extra cute and cuddly. I came out planning to work her, but soon realized I have NOTHING out at the barn anymore except a halter, lead rope, and hoof pick since I already moved her storage shed to the new barn. OOPS! I think we needed a play day though, it worked out well. She is so cute & sweet... she follows me around like a little puppy. Wherever I go, she goes. She was so well behaved, stood still for me to groom her (borrowed a shedding blade from a friend, that thing is a MIRACLE worker) & stood perfectly untied while I picked all 4 feet. What a nice pony!

I kind of realized today the difference between my mentality and most other horse owners. I made a comment today about how I guess Cheyenne's not going to grow anymore (she's still very much a pony @ just 14 hands, and I'm not so much built for a pony LOL) So she asked if I was going to sell her and get another horse. Of course not! But that is the mentality of most horse people, if the horse doesn't suit it's job - find a new one who does. Cheyenne is a pet first, a hobby second. I love riding, but I love HORSES more. If I had to chose between owning a pasture ornament or riding some else's horse once or twice a week, I'd pick a pasture ornament any day. There's just something so unique & beautiful about horses you don't find in other animals. Maybe it's the fact that they could kill you in an instant, but they chose not to. Or their willingness to trust & submit to a person 1/10 of their size. Or their uncanny ability to forgive. Whatever it is, I can't get enough of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment