Monday, May 24, 2010

Blast from the past

I went out to the barn Saturday morning to ride with Nikki, the other girl who boards her horse there. For the record I have NEVER run into anyone at the barn other than the owner, the man who takes care of the horses, and Nikki. Little did I know I was going to be greeted by a welcoming committee. One of the owners friends was out at the barn when I arrived, as was Nikki. While I was there another girl came out who is leasing Ray (Nikki's horse) & two of the owner's lesson students also came by. It was like a blast from the past having so many horses riding around in the arena. The last time I rode with a group of people like that was at horse camp, many many moons ago.

I felt a bit like the odd one out with all the other girls in their breeches, english saddles, & on their HUGE fancy WELL BEHAVED horses. Me & my little pony, in our western saddle mosied along behind them. Surprisingly though everyone was SOOO nice. I have to admit, I am sometimes a little bit prejudice against Hunter/jumper people... I feel like I can say that though since I used to be one of them. But these girls weren't snooty at all! :)


Cheyenne did really well. Especially considering we rode for THREE HOURS. Yes, THREE. She seems to behave much better with her boyfriend Ray around. She put up a bit of a fuss about trotting, but not nearly as bad as last time. She followed Ray when he trotted (for the most part) which made it much easier for me. The barn owner even gave us kind of a group lesson & Cheyenne & I went over a few cross rails (small... at a walk... but we did it!)


(Cheyenne & Ray enjoying a well deserved treat after their 3 hour ride!)

It was nice having a group of people to ride with. They're not the same as my old barn buddies... but it's a start! It's nice to have company, that's half the fun of horses in my opinion. Sure I cherish my quiet times with Cheyenne... but it's always twice as fun with a friend. :) So here's to hoping we have many more adventures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment