Tuesday, May 18, 2010

NOT a happy camper.

Yup, the title about says it all. Cheyenne was pure idiot today. When I got to the barn Alamon (the man who takes care of the horses) was turning out the boys. Cheyenne got all worked up and acted like a hussy... SO unlike her. I knew we were going to have issues today from the way she acted the whole time I had her cross tied. She was fine walking but when I asked for a trot she spent five minutes just trying to change direction so she didn't have to trot. Eventually she did and she kept trying to change direction, take off, and run me into trees. She took off and turned sharply and the saddle went sliding to the side & off I went.

I was irritated but I got back on. She did OKAY after that and I was about 20 feet from letting her stop and calling it a day. Then all of the sudden she turns and bolts, saddle slides AGAIN (I hate this new girth... it's the fuzzy kind and when she sweats I guess it doesn't stay in place) & off I went... in the other direction. The second time was far worse that the first. I couldn't physically bring myself to get back on, it took all my strength to get her saddle off & not cry.

I did however take her to the round pen & work her butt off so she doesn't think throwing your rider means you get out of work. Again, she was AWFUL! She almost broke the fence a few times, she'd take off and ram into it. She even came close to JUMPING the fence to get into the pasture (which shares a fence with the round pen) with the boys. She was just terrible! :( Ugh. I hope this was a one time deal because I am not equipped to handle her if she keeps this nonsense up. I am in SO MUCH PAIN. My back hurts, my head is pounding, it hurts to breathe, my sides are all bruised. Monster pony really lived up to her name today. UGH.

It will get better though. You have to take the bad days with the good... the good days wouldn't be so good if we didn't go through rough patches every now & again. I just think back on how far she's come & it's hard to stay mad for TOO long. Hope I can walk tomorrow though, Jesus I hurt! I just don't bounce quite the way I did when I was a kid. I remember falling off multiple times per lesson when I was first learning to jump, and thinking nothing of it. Not anymore!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! So sorry you are hurting, but glad you are able to tell us about it.
    Just a thought...check her saddle fit. With a bad fitting saddle, it doesn't matter what kind or how tight a girth is - it can slide. It can also cause pain which can cause attitude.

    I had to laugh at your bouncing comment....I have said that a lot lately! I recently told a friend that when I was a kid, I did not think I could fall off or get thrown, and when it happened, I got back on thinking it couldn't happen again! WRONG! It can, it does, and it hurts more!

    Hang in there!

    Karen and Tripp

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good comes with the bad. Keep up the hard work it will all end up on the right side.

    Love the look of your new blogger header.

    ReplyDelete