Friday, May 14, 2010

Hello, my name is Becky and I am addicted to horses.

You know you have a problem when you spend hours on end pondering what exactly it is your horse could be doing at that exact moment in time. I wonder what Cheyenne does to get all of those icky scabs, or how she manages to get SO dirty the day after a bath, or whether she gets along with her boyfriends when I'm not looking. I wonder if the boys ever let her in to snack on the round bale, or how she interacts with other people when I'm not around. I wonder what kind of inappropriate toy she's made for herself out in her pasture today and if she thinks about me too when I'm not there.

Some people call it a sickness... an insanity. A special kind of crazy that draws us "horse people" to do the things we do, to be the way we are. I call it a passion. A love unparalleled by any other. A love that wakes us from bed at obscene hours and finds us in barns at the most unforgiving times of the year (110 degree heat & below freezing rain storms). A love that calls us to do things that sometimes WE aren't even sure we want to do... but we do them without question because ultimately, it is what we love. It is what we thrive on. It is what feeds our souls. It's this love that finds us with second degree sunburns from a long day at the barn, or sleeping on barn floors eagerly awaiting for the arrival of a new foal. It's this passion that allows us to open our hearts & our wallets to the most needy, pricey, and desperate of souls. It's this love that finds us providing better health care, dinner, and supplements to our equine friends than to ourselves & our families. It's this love that greets us with a nicker and a nuzzle & I can think of no better repayment on earth.

So call it a sickness... an illness... a disease. I call it my way of life.

Hello, my name is Becky and I am addicted to horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment